We cover commercial law with all its particular aspects as well as specialized fields.
We are a full service commercial law firm and our practice areas are tailored to serve top local and regional corporations, banks, regulatory authorities and international investors. We have an attested track record in the following practice areas:
We advise Zimbabwean and Botswana listed and non-listed corporations in the negotiation, structuring, implementation and monitoring of different kinds of transactions that span across SADC and COMESA. We have a wide breadth of expertise in advising on the following range of transactions, amongst others:
- Legal due diligences;
- Mergers and Acquisitions;
- Regulatory compliance;
- Stock exchange rules and regulations;
- Private equity investments;
- Cross-border transactions;
- Share and share-related schemes;
- Capital raising;
- Corporate restructuring;
- Tax compliance; and
Banking & Finance
We advise the majority of the country’s banks and financial institutions in various financial and securitization transactions. We have an intimate and current knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework governing banking and financial matters in Zimbabwe and Bostwana. We advise on the following:
- Issuance of local and Eurodollar Bonds;
- Loan Syndication;
- Project Financing;
- Legal Due Diligences;
- Corporate Lending;
- Real Estate Financing;
- Asset Financing;
- Exchange Control Regulations;
- Securitization; and
- Complex restructurings.
We have participated in the development of the laws and policies governing public-private partnerships in Zimbabwe. We are involved from feasibility studies to project completion and termination of the partnerships. We render advice to private local and international contractors as well as government entities on the structuring, funding, securitization, sub-contracting and implementation of infrastructure projects. Our services in this area include advising on the following:
- Feasibility studies;
- Risk matrix;
- Regulatory compliance matters;
- Funding and securitization;
- PPP structuring;
- Tendering and procurement processes;
- PPP documentation;
- Performance bonds; and
- Sub-contracting arrangements.
Our team of real estate lawyers in both Zimbabwe and Botswana provide assistance on the following matters involving real estate:
- Property registration due diligence;
- Property development;
- Sale and purchase agreements;
- Mortgage financing;
- Mortgage bond registrations; and
- Real Estate ownership and lease disputes.
We have established growing intellectual property units in Zimbabwe and Botswana which units have excellent relationships with African Regional Intellectual Property Organisation and International Trademark Agents. The units offer the following services to clients:
- Providing opinions on the availability of and registrability of Trade Marks and Patents
- Trade Mark and Patents filings for local and international clients;
- Advising on Copyright matters; and
- Representation in IP disputes.
We have a well-established Employment Law unit in Zimbabwe that has particular bias towards employer representation. Our expertise covers a wide range of employment matters including:
- Drafting employment codes for various industries;
- Preparation of employment contracts;
- Employee share trusts and schemes;
- Employment issues on mergers/acquisitions/de-mergers;
- Advising on disciplinary procedures;
- Conciliation and arbitration of employment disputes; and
We are a modern law firm that keeps abreast with the ever-evolving legal trends so as to respond to our valued clients’ needs in this advanced communications and technology era. Our lawyers have the requisite expertise to advise on:
- E-commerce transactions;
- Telecommunications inter-connect agreements;
- Regulatory compliance;
- ISP liability;
- Data protection; and
- ICT contracts.
The tax law department offers tax advice to local and international commercial entities, financial institutions and non-governmental organisations. We provide innovative solutions in the area of tax legislation and practice through our Banking & Finance, Infrastructure PPPs, Real Estate and Employment practices.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
We are committed to providing our commercial clients with excellent, efficient and effective resolution to disputes that arise from our clients’ commercial activities. Our Commercial Litigation and Arbitration unit offers representation in a wide array of matters which include: contractual disputes, debt recoveries, shareholder and partnership disputes and international investment disputes.